Monday 7 July 2014

Gentleman With Pipe

Pipe smoking is a very particular activity is it not? I haven't given it too much thought but it occurs to me that it does seem to be a thing that mostly males do. I wonder why that is?

I thought that I was going to have to look elsewhere for an image to join in with Sepia Saturday (on a Monday) this week or opt out altogether as I've realised that I have a pretty limited photo collection and frequently come across photographs from other sources that are far more interesting than those I do have. Fortunately, though, this photo-on-a-postcard (date unknown - 1940's perhaps) of my great grandfather with - hoorah - a pipe, was sitting on the sideboard and fitted at least a part of the brief.

































I don't know much about Harry, above, apart from the fact that he was devoted to his wife, Maude, who predeceased him. As a widower he lived with his daughter and two granddaughters in Cornwall. I remember my mum telling me that he was a lovely grandfather and that when she was little he used to pay her thruppence for darning the holes in his socks. The other detail I know about him is that on his daughter's marriage certificate his occupation is described as 'Gentleman'. What that means I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm quite drawn to his 'look' - the plus twos, thick walking socks, tie, jumper and tweed jacket - as it's quite distinctive.

There are quite a few sayings which refer to being a gentleman or the qualities of being gentlemanly - although I appreciate that the concept of both might seem a little out of date to some - but the following one seemed a fair one to quote: 'To be born a gentleman is an accident. To die a gentleman is an achievment.'

6 comments:

  1. Well he certainly dressed like a gentleman and he seemed to have gentlemanly ways, so l think he must have been. Nice relaxed pose too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a very nattily dressed gentleman he is, too! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of pipe smoking, and it does seem an exclusively masculine activity, but that is a nice relaxed photo of your great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely family photo - does 'gentleman' mean he didn't have to work for a living? - but I like your closing quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...the Gentleman. My Victorian Age Literature class focused on the Gentleman.The status was, as you say, hard to hold on to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm drawn to his fine clothing too, so we think alike!

    ReplyDelete